nafex - [NAFEX] stopping deer from jumping fence

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] stopping deer from jumping fence
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 15:51:15 -0500

In smaller areas, such as a family vegetable garden, deer here seldom jump a 6' fence unless it is shortened by snow.  If there is drought and food is scarce, all bets are off, however.

The last 2 times deer began jumping my 6' garden fence I simply stuck some rebar stakes into the ground every 10' or so about 2' outside my garden fence.  I then stretched 2 strands of mono filament heavy, deep-sea fishing line to the rebar, one about 20" off the ground and the other at about 3'.  Because they like to sidle up to a fence before jumping it, this has been completely affective in turning them away.

I would bet that this mono-filament augmentation could be effectively used in different ways to deter fence jumping in larger protected areas.   I've also used a couple strands to extend the height of a sturdy fence.

Another trick used by fencers around here to get around codes limiting height is to have a perpendicular lip that is like a 2' horizontal fence extending inward from the top of a 6' fence.  It seems to work well, probably similarly to a slanted fence.

  • [NAFEX] stopping deer from jumping fence, Alan Haigh, 02/28/2009