nafex - Re: [NAFEX] deer protection for fruit trees

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] deer protection for fruit trees
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 15:38:08 +0000

I can confirm all this. Even the gauge of wire: 16 is too flimsy unless more
fence-posts, and 12 is too difficult to cut a lot of.

Six foot tall woven fence is a bit too top-heavy to work with, and the 5'
rolls fit into more vehicles. I have use 4' tall, but the hoops around young
trees must be larger/ radius plus branch length must be wider than the length
of a deer neck!

Alan works in higher visibility sites than I do. If eye-sore is not an
issue, deer can be disuaded w/ some rather sad & rusty fencing. You might
need an extra fence post to hold it up, tho. Also, not much is needed to
keep bucks from damaging tree bark w/ their antlers.

Off-topic: The most impressive deer sighting I've had is when twin bucks
matured in the neighborhood, and one day I saw them grazing side-by-side.
They looked up at me, but with bodies facing away they had to look over their
rumps. They were mirror images of eachother. It was an incredible "Oh, for
a camera!" moment, but later I figured everyone would have thought it a
Photoshop trick.

________________________________
> Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 08:02:03 -0500
> From: alandhaigh@gmail.com
> To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: [NAFEX] deer protection for fruit trees
>
> I install a lot of home orchards in areas where the deer populations remind
> you of being on a game safari in Kenya. I have had 8 point bucks within a
> stones throw admire my work as I planted succulent young apple, mulberry
> and Asian pear trees amongst all the other somewhat less attractive fruit
> trees that will be in the mix. The deer run in herds like antelopes and
> only bow-hunting is permitted in most areas I work.
>
> I protect smaller trees with about a 10' length of 5' tall, 14 g.
> galvanized wire fencing and a single post to create individual rings for
> each tree. The wire fencing can be secured to itself by hooking its wire to
> itself in 2 or 3 places from top to bottom so the rings are easily opened
> to tend to the trees. In worse predation areas I very rarely have to use
> 12' (circumference) rings and 3 posts for particularly attractive cultivars
> like the Mutsu apple, mulberries and Asian pears.
>
> Low branches are eaten by the deer when they reach outside of protection
> which encourages upward growth inside the fencing. After a couple of years
> the fencing can be removed and I protect the trunks from buck antlers with
> 3' rings around the trunks from pieces of the initial fencing. The deer do
> a pretty good job of keeping the trees trained above the browse line but
> fruit laden branches must sometimes be crutched or tied to keep the deer
> from tearing them off the tree.
>
> This means that a lot of the fruit must be harvested from a stepladder, but
> on the bright side, the deer eat all the drops, lessening apple fly maggot
> pressure (at least that's my theory, as this is a nonexistent pest in my
> orchards). It also means that the orchards allow more open space for child
> play and mowing the lawn.
Windows Liveā„¢ Contacts: Organize your contact list.