nafex - [NAFEX] Pruning marathon winner

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pruning marathon winner
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 18:15:39 -0500

My business of managing scores of orchards is 50% pruning fruit trees.  This means that for 6 months of the year, about 5 days a week for about 7.5 hours a day I do nothing but prune fruit trees, primarily apples.

I have more of this work than I have time but the part of my business I'd like to grow is my bearing age fruit nursery.  I need some free publicity to sell more trees which I can get by getting local newspapers to write about my business.

For publicity, I'd like to make the claim that I have spent more time pruning fruit trees in the 21st century than any other person- at least in the northeast.  But I don't want to make that claim without making at least some kind of attempt at verification.  My hunch is that this might be a good place to start.

The commercial growers I know don't have anyone that spends nearly as much time pruning as I do, but I wonder if any of you out their know of a pruner who's hours come close to mine.  I don't mind being brazenly self promotional (there's nothing heroic about pruning a lot of fruit trees anyway) but I like to have my facts straight.  The schedule I spell out applies pretty much from 2000 on (and well before).  I'm interested in knowing of anyone in the world who spends this much time (groan) pruning.  Hope I can at least claim the northeastern U.S. record.

  • [NAFEX] Pruning marathon winner, Alan Haigh, 02/26/2009