nafex - Re: [NAFEX] persimmon scions

  • From: bmn@iglou.com
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] persimmon scions
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 15:30:24 -0500

Scott Gothard wrote:

That is a great sight, but I'm looking for scionwood to graft on a
few of my wild persimmons. I saw an article in QDMA on some of the
different ones. I'll have to look that magazine up again. Thanks

Are these for deer plantings? If so, I don't think I'd recommend cultivars. I've done a good number of wildlife plantings (lost count) over the last 20+ years. While some deer pages like:

http://www.qdmanepa.com/members_page.htm

do recommend cultivars, you're basically looking for diversity in fruiting that would be suitable for deer regardless of seasonal, regional, & microhabitat influences. In order to accomplish that, you're best off making sure you keep as much genetic diversity as is possible. I might be tempted to add cultivars to a mix if I'm at the extreme Northern edge of the range or had site-specific influences which may create a need for additional cold-hardiness.

Anyway, the only reason I mention this is that you mention QDMA and it was unclear to me the purpose of the trees. In this case I think it makes a difference to source close to or farther North in your area. Again, I wouldn't go with the cultivars unless you want to spread out fruit drop even further, want to eat them as well, or want to test some for hardiness. You can always graft from those which tolerate the conditions existing in your spot.