nafex - [NAFEX] Cultural advice sought on Gold Raspberries

  • From: Rosholdt <rosholdt@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cultural advice sought on Gold Raspberries
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 17:46:45 -0500

I have 2 different gold raspberries, Fall Gold and Anne. Both bear in the summer and fall. Fall Gold stays fairly short and acts sort of like a red raspberry, but Anne - wow, it rebears on the primo and flori-canes, doesn't seem to send up new sprouts readily, grows up and up and over with a huge elongated berry - and altogether acts weird for either a red or a black raspberry. I am used to black raspberries, and have read about the red ones, but need some advice on Anne. Does anyone have any experience with an Anne type raspberry they could share? Should I mow down, clip down to 2', what - and when?
Stella Otto's "Back Yard Berry Book" is short of advice on the varieties I'm growing. I treat Fall Gold like an everbearing red, and that seems to work, but they seem to "lean around" a lot. Is that a symptom of clumps too close?

Advice would be appreciated!

Barbara Rosholdt
3Domes
Z7a - 6c (we had some single digit nights this winter)
Central Virginia Piedmont

  • [NAFEX] Cultural advice sought on Gold Raspberries, Rosholdt, 02/21/2009