nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Curculios

  • From: John Barbowski <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Curculios
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 13:25:16 -0500

Another question. Why is it called Plum Curcullio (PC)?  I have a Golden Delicious (GD) apple 10 feet away from a Damson plumb. The plum has borne (50+ fruit) for the last couples of years (delicious and sweet!). I have yet to see a PC on the plum, whereas there are a multitude of attacks on the GD.

What was also nice was seeing dead PCs with their proboscus still in the GD. A few days before bagging, I spray using malathion mixed with a Wilson's commercial spray.

A couple of years ago, a NAFEX'ER suggested  to dig out the PC egg with a thumb nail (or ?) when you see the scar on the apple. I have been doing this with some success. The apple usually does not develop properly in this area, but I do not market apples. However, I do have an insect free edible apple - in fact, I am down to my last half dozen from last year.

jb
Thornhill, Ontario
Canadian Zone 6B - just north of Toronto