nafex - [NAFEX] controlling brown rot in stone fruit

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] controlling brown rot in stone fruit
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 15:01:27 -0500

Eric, copper is organic because elemental copper occurs naturally.  "organic" doesn't mean "good", it just means natural. Copper is not poisonous per se since it occurs naturally in the soil, it is only poisonous in large quantities.  I completely agree about sustainability, it is clearly not good to spray too much copper over a large number of years.  My understanding is the lack of sustainability of copper is causing the Europeans to phase it out of organic approved (a completely different concept from organic), and I expect we will eventually follow.  I chopped down my vinafera grapes last weekend since the only way I could control all their diseases was with copper.  I decided they just don't belong in my Maryland climate.

Scott

I do not understand why Copper is considered "organic" or "sustainable".
Using copper is adding poisonous heavy metals to your soil, and while even
the worst of the chemical pesticides will break down over time, Copper is
forever.

  • [NAFEX] controlling brown rot in stone fruit, Scott Smith, 02/07/2009