nafex - Re: [NAFEX] orchard bees

  • From: "D Stubbs" <dsmndel@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] orchard bees
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 11:04:54 -0600

I too have had limited success so far with osmias. First year I paid a whopping $1 each to get 20 bees from Utah, but then had little re-populating into new tubes. Next 2 years I put out copious bunches of various sized native reed tubes, only a few had mud on the end by fall. One day however I noticed a tiny wasp bringing in a tinier caterpillar  into a tube and mudding it over, so now I wonder when I have 'mudded over' tube ends just which animal has laid eggs!
I too have many with tiny  holes in the end by mid summer.
A parasite?
Last year I took a number of 2x6 blcks, drilled 5+" long holes cross grain in them and hung them on various corner posts in our orchard at various heights. The best height seemed to be about 4' off the ground. 2' up had no mudded ends.
So this winter I will work up a few dozen more blocks and scatter them in even more disparite places to learn the preference.
Does anyone know how to examine the 'mudded end' and know it is actually osmias or not?
Anyone feel it is worth it to buy paper tube inserts to put in my wood blocks - versus just drilled holes?
thanks, Del
Z 2/3 ...  still undecieded -  lowest this year so far is -41F