nafex - [NAFEX] Control of Brown Rot

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Control of Brown Rot
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 08:49:02 -0500

Richard, there are some lower impact options out there that may (or may not) work for you. I had kept brown rot away for several years by spraying copper plus a sticker 3-4 times in the spring, up through shuck split on the peaches. I only did two copper sprays this last spring (and nothing later) and I ended up with bad brown rot for the first time. So if you use copper you need lots of coverage. It cannot be sprayed after shuck split due to phytotoxicity. This coming summer I am going to be trying Serenade MAX and Saf-T-Side oil later in the season. There was a study which found both of these moderately effective against brown rot. The Saf-T-Side was more effective than Captan in the study. Sulphur is also somewhat effective but based on my limited experience you really need to be diligent on the coverage to get efficacy. If you have lots of pathogen build-up in your orchard you may need to use Indar or the like for a season or two just to lower the pressure.

I would be interested in hearing what other organic growers are doing about brown rot.

Scott