nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Liberty Apple, as grown in NY

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Liberty Apple, as grown in NY
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 15:39:31 -0500

A 09:50 09.01.17 -0500, vous avez écrit :

In my business, where I grow, install and manage bearing age fruit trees, my customers enjoy the reliability of Liberty's crops and how the fruit can sometimes be cosmetically perfect without a single fungicide spray. Its scab and car resistance are well known but I have also found it to be relatively resistant to fly speck and sooty blotch on some sites. However, only a few of my customers consider Liberty one of their favorite apples.

I hate the way the tree grows because of its branching habit- it just doesn't put out very much small wood and it is a difficult tree to manage in an efficient shape, anyway, it's an ugly sucker.

<<<<

Alan,
This is interesting that you find the Liberty tree difficult to manage, as I found exactly the opposite - my Liberty tree is on Antonovka seedling root and was planted in 1991. I find it is the easiest tree to manage in my orchard. It is naturally well shaped and every year I only have to remove some of the excessive growth and a branch here or there.
It is now also the most productive tree of my orchard.
But where I agree with you is although it is my favorite tree, it is not my favorite apple. But in my opinion, its quality as apple is not that far from my favorites and way above avereage. Climate may have an effect as I have read Liberty had better quality in colder zones.

Claude,
Quebec