nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple seedlings

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple seedlings
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 03:00:46 +0000

Graft-&-plant if you have decent soil and you plan to water frequently. If
you're on sand, or probably miss the occasional irrigation, grow the
rootstocks in a nursery for a year.

Grafting a couple weeks before planting, so that the unions can callus a bit,
is beneficial.

I've had trouble getting baccata to accept any topwork which doesn't have
baccata in it's pedigree. Antanovka roots can delay bearing (reduce
precosity) of the topwork. Both will make a strong vigorous & larger tree if
the rootstock-scion campatability is good.

tc, sWI, cold