nafex - [NAFEX] TinyURL

  • From: "Glenn & Kathy Russell" <GlennAndKathy2@cox.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] TinyURL
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 20:32:12 -0500

Hi Sam-
TinyURL is a site that has been used by a few of the magazines that
I read ("Maximum PC" for example) for at least a couple years, probably much
longer. According to their home page, they have handled over 145 million
URLs with 1.5 billion hits per month and they say the links NEVER expire.
Yes, if they went out of business, you'd probably loose that URL. But, with
so many other people using them, I suspect that this would be a pretty safe
venture.
-Glenn

>It is worthwhile to note that if you go to http://tinyurl.com/ you can
enter in really long >internet addresses like those given below, and they
come out as really short, simple ones.
>The first address would be given as follows: http://tinyurl.com/7uycrr
>Tinyurl converted 290 characters to an easy to post 25.
>The second link is given as follows: http://tinyurl.com/9n7yze
>Tinyurl took 235 characters and converted it to a very usable 25.
>Thanks to Sam for posting links to some very important articles.
- K Q
Wow, that's something. Do you think that this service files the old
bookmark and assigns a new bookmark to the article? Would the link
always be available, even if tinyurl.com went out of business or was
disconnected? -- Sam Brungardt