nafex - Re: [NAFEX] alleopathy of Carya sp.

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] alleopathy of Carya sp.
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 13:38:25 -0600

Alan,
I've got no doubt but that pecans do produce juglone,
though all the scholarly writings I've seen indicate
that it is in minimal amounts - at least compared to
J.nigra. Saw something in print somewhere, sometime,
suggesting that of the Carya species, C.ovata -
shagbark hickory - was the worst offender, insofar as
juglone production was concerned.
I've always wondered how much of the 'juglone
toxicity' effect was actually due to the direct
effect of juglone, and how much was due to the
ability of the roots of a big mature black walnut(or
pecan, for that matter) to outcompete smaller
plants/trees for available water & nutrients - as
well as shading them.
When you've severed the roots of these pecans and
seen a concurrent improvement in the lot of the
peaches, is it because you've caused a reduction in
juglone, or removed a significant degree of root
competition?

Growing up in east-central AL, there were plenty of
big old pecans all around the farmstead, including a
number of sizeable seedling trees that had popped up
in the fencerow surrounding my grandmother's garden -
as well as a number of seedling landrace-type
peaches. I never really noticed any significant
effect on the peaches or vegetables from the pecans,
but I might not have noticed it if it had been there
- and the pecans have the potential to still be there
200 years from now, but all the peaches are now gone.

I also had several pomegranates I'd started from
cuttings as an 8 yr old kid, but I'd planted them
about 15 ft from the trunk of what was then a young
eastern black walnut - I didn't know anything about
juglone then. They grew, without fruiting, for
nearly 30 years, until my parents had to replace the
drain tile from the septic tank, necessitating
trenching right between the walnut and the
pomegranates - all but killing the walnut. The
pomegranates have borne heavily, on a yearly basis
ever since.

Make of it what you will....

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY