nafex - [NAFEX] pawpaw flavors

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pawpaw flavors
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 07:37:23 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

It is interesting that several people on this list have observed a relatively
high rate of acceptable flavor from wild-grown pawpaw fruit (from seedling
trees).

I have wondered before if the biology of the pawpaw might contribute to this
high incidence of decent or better quality fruit. Pawpaw seed don't survive
if the fruit is allowed to ferment. Fermentation would happen if the fruit
were not consumed after ripening. The pawpaw is dependent on relatively
large mammals to distribute their seed. This combination would set up a
situation whereby yucky fruit would be passed over for the tasty and so, over
time, those pawpaws bearing tasty fruit would be better fit to multiply.

Maybe it's all too neat, but I thought I'd throw it out for discussion. It
also raises the interesting question of, What, if any, healthful (medicinal)
compounds might be enriched in pawpaw fruit that are consumed by wild
animals, but don't taste very good?

Happy New Year, NAFEX!

Anton
Zone 8