nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hypothesis needed

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hypothesis needed
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:45:01 -0800

That's my thought, too. The list of nutrients that increase sweetness in
ripe fruit seems to be "all of them." I've had sour/bitter plants sweeten
up as the I've improved the soil and fertilized. Groworganic.com has a
blend they call Brix Mix. Pretty much anything that's been shown to
increase brix is in the mix. It might be interesting to see if something
like that would have any effect.

To my taste, all cranberries are bitter; but I've had highbush ones that
were intolerable even to cranberry lovers. My favorite cranberry-like fruit
is lingonberry. My experience with them is that if someone thinks they're
cranberries, they often regard them as the best they've had. If they know
they're something else, they'll reject them as not 'traditional'.

~ Stephen