nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Aronia paradox

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Aronia paradox
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 15:45:16 -0600

Wow, I missed this too. Thank you Jim for reposting. I have a copy of Thoreau's "Wild Fruits" a very nice book put together from his writings and apparently a sort of diary of harvest dates. (Actually would make a nice Christmas present for a Nafexer if it could be gotten in time.) He talks about the wild plants hanging with fruit. That combined with Jim's taste tests implies maybe someone should be out searching for superior clones that taste good COOKED. That means it takes a bit more effert to compare clones. I suppose the named selections, being tetraploid, were selected for making bigger fruit? Did the wild selections have small fruit? I am well aware from picking blueberries that no matter how small the fruit might be, not having to deal with thorns, diseases, insect damage and rot make them more attractive than many other fruits. I suppose that most of the swamps that Thoreau picked blueberries and saw chokeberries in were drained many years ago. Donna