nafex - [NAFEX] Transplanting paw paws in midsummer

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Transplanting paw paws in midsummer
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:26:22 -0500

I get maybe 80% take fall dormant transplanting Paw Paw suckers, and I'm very suspicious of anecdotal observations including my own.  Of course, I do love my own!  I haven't done enough paw paw transplanting to be expert and I certainly haven't done careful research.

When someone claims something as counter-intuitive as getting better results by transplanting paw paws in the middle of summer and stripping the leaves it is interesting to hear from the person doing it but I'd be reluctant to pass it on, especially if I wasn't clear on their research technique.  More often than not, even carefully controlled university type hort research has to be taken with a grain of salt but is worth more to me because of the tendency towards disciplined research.  There are professional reputations at stake.  Even so, one study, one site, one season, one or just a few species, etc only gets you so far.

Stripping leaves is a common practice when summer transplanting is necessary but I've never heard of any research showing it to be an advantage over moving a dormant plant- although some species are said to transplant more readily just as they start to bud, like dogwoods.  That isn't to say, of course, that such research doesn't exist.  I'd be happy to learn of it.