nafex - [NAFEX] aronia yield and propagation

  • From: <kbrubaker@nc.rr.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] aronia yield and propagation
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 8:39:31 -0500

We have had very good luck making juice by simmering the berries with a bit
of sugar and then pressing out the juice and adding water and lime juice to
taste. I can't tell the difference in taste from the berries off our Viking
plant and the two seedling aronia plants we have (may be seedlings from Nero
or Viking - tetraploid as well?). They are definitely not good for fresh
eating due to the texture (dry and firm) and the astringency.

We don't get nearly the yields that I've read are possible from cultivated
aronia bushes. We usually get 2-3 lbs per bush and the bushes are 3-6 years
old. I have read that they are able to produce up to 20lbs under ideal
conditions. Has anyone achieved something along these lines?

I am planning on propagating a dozen or so more from the Viking plant, do
dormant wood cuttings root easily, or is it better to plan on starting seeds?

Thank you,
Kurt