nafex - [NAFEX] acorn crop

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] acorn crop
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 13:17:56 -0500

My squirrels always let me know the state of the acorn crop by about late August when they usually start harvesting the not quite ripe nuts.  No nuts and they just go nuts or at least appear to as they look postively frenzied and gobble up any alternative food supply  including whatever fruit I still have on the trees.

This year my place was blank for acorns as I've already stated in previous postings as were all sites around here that had an extremely hard late May frost about six years ago.  I'm in southeastern NY pretty far from climate moderating water.

Once oaks freeze out it appears they tend to become rather bienniel for a time, alternating between heavy and light crops.  Does anyone out there know how long it takes for these swings to begin to moderate?

Before the hard frost we had lighter and heavier crops, of course, but not like what we experience lately by my observation.  The extreme boom and bust seems to have greatly increased the difficulty of controlling squirrels.  In the past I would destroy maybe six of them and that would be it for the season, now they just keep coming in from deeper in the woods.  As I stated in a previous post, they probably will be no problem next season as most will starve this winter.  Fruit and seeds are not enough to hold them over.