nafex - [NAFEX] apple rootstocks

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] apple rootstocks
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 11:57:31 -0500

Ginda, anchorage refers to stability against wind- resistance to blowover.  Trees on fully dwarfing rootstocks generally must be attached to a stake or trellis.  From M26 up trees can often be grown without support but sometimes while young are also susceptible to being blown over- particular when soils are saturated and the wind strong.

As far as rootstock affecting fruit size and yeald , M7 gets the thumbs down on this score-  111 gets much better revues.  Although I have a lot of experience with both rootstocks the relative quality and quantity of the fruit in a home orchard situation doesn't seem that important.  With proper pruning and thinning both perform well enough but 111 sometimes takes about an extra year to bear.

On at least 2 occasions I have read catalogues of small fruit tree nurseries- Ames and Apples of Antiquity, that state a preference for trees on 111 over 7.  These nurseries are on opposite sides of the country and grow trees in much different conditions.