nafex - [NAFEX] Frozen Apple Question

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: Nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Frozen Apple Question
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 09:57:36 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Since the trees started to produce a few years ago, I have picked my Lady
Williams apples about mid-December, after checking for ripeness starting in
mid-November. But a couple weeks ago one night got down to 15 degrees (tied
the record low for the date) and after that the apples slowly lost their
crispness and the cores started to turn a watery pale green. So I picked
them all last week, and stored them in the fridge, except for a few I left at
room temperature. The apples setting at room temp have great aromatic taste
with moderate acidity and are firm, though no longer crisp.
For future years, can anyone tell me how low a temperature apples can take on
the tree?
Thanks,

Jim Nottke
Zone 7
Pfafftown, North Carolina

  • [NAFEX] Frozen Apple Question, nottke1, 12/06/2008