nafex - [NAFEX] Haskups

  • From: "Martha L. Davis" <martha_davis@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Haskups
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 11:43:04 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Regarding Haskups

Both Raintree and One Green World Nurseries sell Honey Berry or Haskups. As
does Edible Landscaping. Maxine Thompson At OSU in Corvallis Oregon is doing
breeding work, but has not release any of her varieties yet,that I am aware
of. The problem is in the U.S. is that the initial releases of Haskup
bloomed too early so the people that had luck with them were in Maine but not
farther south. There are now some later blooming varieties that work better
in Oregon and presumably parts south. Some listings sort the varieties they
offer into earlier and later blooming types. I guess the problem in Oregon
was such early bloom that the insects were out yet, or possibly frost damage
to flowers.

Martha

  • [NAFEX] Haskups, Martha L. Davis, 12/05/2008