nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wild persimmon tasting

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "nottke1" <nottke1@earthlink.net>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wild persimmon tasting
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 22:30:37 -0600

Astringent persimmons are eaten after they become squishy, this is true of the Asian kakis as well. If you don't like squishy foods, you won't want to eat your persimmons as "dessert" fruits. However, the pulp is pretty good stuff in cooking. About all I make with it is a modified applesauce cake: just substitute persimmon pulp and cut the sugar in half. It's as good as brownies for pure decadence. You can also flatten the fruit and dry it for something rather like a date. Don't bother to take the seeds out, they will pop out easily when dried. Just make sure the astringency is gone before you dry them.
I like persimmons very much, but I must say they seem to be variable in character. I have an Early Golden with fruit that turned bright orange months ago but stayed astringent till recently. As it has 90 chromosomes it had no seeds at all from our 60 chromosome wild stock. I had grafted one tree from a local clump I consider good quality, but my crop this year proved that the original tree lacks a pollinator close by. Like yours, it has only one or two seeds per fruit. At our place it's full of seeds, not much room for pulp. A lot of the wild persimmons on our place had reached maturity since 2006 (Big Freeze in '07) and they all have 6 or more seeds per fruit, plus they all overcropped so all the fruit are small. I think the latter problem will take care of itself for next year, but I need to track down one or two male trees next spring and chop them down. Donna