nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Schisandra question

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Schisandra question
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 13:25:39 -0800

Schisandra is very cold hardy (to more than -40) and likes shade. Some of the best plants I've seen were growing under pine trees in Minnesota. It's also a slug magnet when young. I tried for three years to get one going and the slugs mowed it every year even when other plants nearby were untouched.
If you can get them going, they are generally dioecious, though I understand there are some perfect flowered types. The flowers are attractive and very fragrant, hence the common name "Magnolia Vine". Fruit is tart with a pepperiness to it fresh. A friend told of eating two slices of bread with Schizandra jam on them when he was in Russia. Said he couldn't sleep for about 30 hours.
-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/