nafex - Re: [NAFEX] [SPAM] Re: Herefordshire Apples

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] [SPAM] Re: Herefordshire Apples
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 02:32:26 -0500

Perry is made from pears. My sole experience was with a batch I found at
the Ontario Liquor Board store in Kemptville or Merrickville about 35
years ago. I liked it very much. It seemed to have a more refined taste
(no bitterness) than the imported Bulmer's Strongbow cider of that time,
which I also liked a lot.

The modern cultivar text is "Perry Pears" by Luckwill and Pollard (University of Bristol/National Fruit and Cider Institute, 1963). It may occasionally be available used. I believe it was based on work at the Long Ashton Research Station, closed by Maggie Thatcher.

I see there is a U.K. book "Success with Apples and Pears to Eat and Drink..." by Alan Rowe (Groundnut Publishing, 2nd edition 2008).
See http://www.bookfinder.com

"The Apple and Pear as Vintage Fruits" by Hogg and Bull (1886) may also be of interest if you can find it in a library. Used copies start at US$705.

For perry pears in the U.S. see
<http://www.cumminsnursery.com/perry.htm>

For general information on the internet you can start at
<http://homepage.ntlworld.com/scrumpy/cider/homepage.htm>

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Spidra Webster wrote:
"Microbrewery" hard ciders were easy to find. Perry is also enjoying a renaissance. I'm not certain if perry is something that ever made it to American shores... Perry is basically hard cider made from apples. I tried some while I was there but it wasn't really to my taste. I'm more a fan of the clearer ciders like Ace. I'm not a fan of bitter tastes, which I why I don't like beer.

Does anyone know whether perry has a history in the US?