nafex - [NAFEX] .22 lead ammo advice

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] .22 lead ammo advice
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 11:51:38 -0800

Certainly, lead is toxic. The amount of lead that will leach into the soil is based on simple mechanics (ignoring chemistry here). The lead we find in paint and other concoctions is extremely fine. It has an enormous surface to mass ratio. Sometimes, a gram of powdered metal can have a surface area of one square meter !  The surface area of a .22 cal bullet, I should imagine is less than a square centimeter. Therefore, the occasional bullet or pellet into the dirt should be well tolerated.
    Bird Shot (shotgun pellets of small diameter) is another matter. Lots of tiny pellets, usually landing in water, are a problem. Each shot launches far more lead than a .22, with much more surface area. Add that to the fact that Duck Hunters usually have there favorite spot, it is not unreasonable to believe that lead could be a huge problem to wetlands.

I would not hesitate to use lead .22 ammo for crop protection varmint control. If you're rather close to the neighbors, use hollow point ammo as it is less likely to pass through it's target. Also I don't know of a source for FMJ .22 ammo.

Murph