nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Superior plum

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Superior plum
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 18:03:57 -0600

Title: RE: [NAFEX] Superior plum

Mark, I can't say exactly what Gurney's or Henry Fields is selling as "Hybrid Superior Plum," but 'Superior' plum is a hybrid.  Its parentage is 'Burbank' (P. salicina) x 'Kaga' (P. simonii).

My experience has been that the best way to find out what a nursery is selling exactly is to talk to either one of the nursery's buyers (most amil order nurseries buy from wholesale nurseries) or to a person who works in a relatively high position in marketing and sales.

'Superior' is still quite a popular cultivar in the Great Plains.  I suspect that the "Hybrid Superior Plum" that Henry Field's is selling is 'Superior' because some of the customers famililar with the cultivar would know the difference.

I looked at the color photo on the Henry Fields site, and appears that the bloom was wiped off or the color was enhanced to make the fruit appear redder and more attractive.  However, in their marketing, nurseries sometimes use alluring photos of another cultivar instead of the cultivar they are selling..  For contrast, look at the photos of 'Superior' at http://www.starkbros.com/access?action="product&productID=1881&collection=0, http://www.davewilson.com/br40/br40_trees/plumPrune.html.

Quite frankly, if I was concerned about really getting 'Superior', I'd buy from a nursery that sells to commercial growers or one that I had more confidence in.  -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.

.