nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Recording Thermometers

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Recording Thermometers
  • Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 23:17:01 -0500

D Stubbs wrote:

Steve , which thermometer do you have? I very much need an accurate one so I can verify temps for people I am doing cold hardiness testing for. I have web searched Davis, Oregon, and Taylor weather stations and so far not found one that is good to minus 50F and also mac computer compatible. You mentioned yours is wired to a tree, does this mean you have a cable from your house out to your orchard?
thanks Del

No, it's old. I've had it far longer than I've had computers. I guess I mis-spoke when I called it a recording thermometer. It's really a Taylor Min-Max thermometer similar to this one:
http://weathertechstore.com/thermometers/maxmin/images/taylor5458b.JPG
Except that mine is black plastic and has a button in the center to reset it to the current temperature.
I have to go outside, look at it, and reset it when I want to see what it "recorded". I remember when I first ordered it from a catalog, the picture clearly showed that it could read -40 degrees. The one that came only went down to -30. I sent it back. My dad found one that DID go to -40 and gave it to me for Christmas one year. I've had the pin go beyond the -40 degree mark a couple of times.
If I were buying one today, I think I would go with a wireless electronic one of some sort. I would want it to go to -50F. I wouldn't be able to get it out to the trees if there was a wire and it would be nice to read it from indoors. You know, now that I think about it, I should move that thing to another tree this fall. The apple tree that it's on, gets snow drifted around it about 4 feet deep. Trust me, it's really hard to read a thermometer while wearing snowshoes and the thermometer is now ankle high due to the snow depth. I've tried and I'm not that flexible!

Steve in the Adirondacks