nafex - Re: [NAFEX] less vigorous pears

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] less vigorous pears
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 16:20:21 -0500

"Almost any pear is less vigorous than Magness- it being a triploid. It
is a perfect pear to graft another variety on just to be sure it's
adequately pollinated as well as to slow its vigor by turning the trunk
into something else half way up the tree or so. Tyson is a southern
pear that would probably work well. Up here where we don't get so much
blight, Highland and Bosc are less vigorous choices. Do you grow
Seckel? It would work as well and has some resistance."

Thanks Alan! I do grow Seckel, so that is an easy solution.

Good to hear that Magness is considered vigorous. I was certainly
impressed by its rapid growth!

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC