nafex - [NAFEX] Orchard Maintenance

  • From: "MARIE ASHTON" <bwoodtx@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Orchard Maintenance
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:50:50 -0500

I thought this might be worth sharing. It came from a Cambridge, UK Beekeeper named Peter. He is referring to an apple orchard.

" My 30 acre orchard owner hates chemicals, he's 80 years old and third generation owner of the orchard so he knows his stuff, he sprays with 'garlic and citrus' which apparently sorts out codling, scab, canker, and other problems and is bee friendly. He the mows sections of about 5 acres once a month in rotation so that there is a good variety of wild flowers for the bees to forage. He also uses insect traps that employ pheromones to target specific species (sorry I can't be more specific, but I'm just a beekeeper!)

His orchard has much wider diversity of wildlife than any other I know of in the area, especially those that keep the ground beneath trees clear using herbicides and insecticides.... there is another way! "

Regards,
Richard Ashton
Oak Creek Orchard