nafex - Re: [NAFEX] about storage

  • From: "Erdman, James" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] about storage
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 09:18:27 -0500

I think that I have mentioned our method before—we use ice chests, like you use in the summer to keep food cool for camping or picnics, the bigger the better.  We open or close them or move them in or out of the garage to maintain the desired temp for the fruit.  We monitor the temperature in the ice chest with a remote reading digital thermometer, so we don’t have to open them to check the temp.  It works well for us, and I ate my last Northwestern Greening from fall 2007 harvest in July 2008, and it was good enough to take with lunch as a snack.

Jim, in Menomonie, WI