nafex - Re: [NAFEX] persimmons - How to ripen them.

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch@sancharnet.in>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] persimmons - How to ripen them.
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 07:06:45 -0700

Hard fruits of Japanese varieties of astringent persimmons like Hachiya can be induced to ripen with Ethrel or Ethephon.  The treatment is effective even when the fruits are 80% green.

Prepare a 100 ppm solution (even 50 ppm will work if the fruits have turned all yellow) and dip the fruits in it for two minutes.  Then store the fruits in a cardboard carton.  Open after 72 hours and they will be perfectly ripe to eat.

You can even sell treated fruits to your customers and tell them to wait for 72 hours.  The ripe fruits can be stored in the refrigerator after these are ripe.

However take following precautions:
  • Prepare only small lots of solution as it does not remain effective after one hour.  So prepare a fresh lot after every hour if you have many fruits to treat.
  • It will be better if gloves are used white dipping the fruits as in case of some persons (not all) contact with ethrel solution can lead to mild pain in the hands.  This is of course temporary and goes after 30-40 minutes.
Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
www.fruitipedia.com