nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Extending fruit storage life [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Extending fruit storage life [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:05:44 -0700

The manufacturers cite zeolite as the "natural clay" they use. The zeolite
is treated with KmnO4.
It sounds very thrifty to use the KMnO4 rather than buy the products, and it
should be easy to re-fill or make your own ethylene absorbers. You still
might want to mix it with zeolite for the odor-absorbing and
humidity-evening properties, but I think the permanganate's going to make by
far the biggest difference.
The bags do seem useful, though - a lot of produce keeps longer wrapped in
plastic; with permeated bags would work to preserve your produce by more
than one method.
As far as how much to use, the ethylene-absorbing egg manufacturers say they
use zeolite containing 6% KMnO4.
Your saucer method sounds much more cost-efficient for protecting a quantity
of produce.
Thanks for the info!

~ Stephen