nafex - [NAFEX] Doyle Blackberry

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Doyle Blackberry
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 09:04:54 -0500

My Doyle Blackberries are the largest I've ever seen. The only reason I'm getting fruit is because my farm is in a micro-climate area and, though everyone around me has had a killing frost, I haven't gotten one yet. The average first frost for this area of zone 3 is September 10th. Doyle blackberries can only withstand a few degrees below 32 F; at 27, the unripe berries turn to mush.
The plants that are bearing are the ones that I covered over the Winter. Uncovered plants winter-killed at the snow-line. Regardless of what the sellers claim, the Doyle Thornless Blackberry does produce suckers however it is a bit more subdued than other varieties. As for the advertised quantity of fruit a grower can expect, I sincerely doubt my plants will ever reach that mark. When compared with the production of my other (thorned) varieties, Doyle is my worst producer but it is fun to be picking blackberries in October after everything else has gone dormant for the season.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(877)265-6856 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

  • [NAFEX] Doyle Blackberry, Jim Fruth, 10/09/2008