nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting pears onto apple?

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting pears onto apple?
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:09:57 -0400

Ginda,
I did quite a few tests of topgrafting pears in adult Cortland trees.
Eventually, all the grafts died, but some have lived for 10 years and have
given fruits. It is a very unusual sight to see a branch full of pears in a
tree full of apples!
Also, if you have Crataegus (Hawthorn) or Amelanchier, you could try
grafting in those. The grafts will probably also eventually die, but may
live long enough to produce. I have had some pears from a Hawthorn tree.

Claude Jolicoeur,
Quebec.