nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Refrigerators/Freezers

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Refrigerators/Freezers
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 07:04:30 EDT

Hello all,

I have a refrigerator that I've opened the air flow between the freezer section overhead by removing some of the Styrofoam in between the two sections. That is in addition to the opening that adjusts the relationship of temperature between the two sections. Then I have the thermostat set to the lowest position. As a result the bottom of the refrigerator section freezes water. In the top water doesn't freeze. The referigerator section mean temperature is right at 32 degrees and the freezer section about zero degrees.

I use it to store scion wood and seed. I've stored scion wood two years and still grafted with success. I keep four gallon jugs of water in it (2 in the freezer and 2 in the refrigerator sections) to help stabilize temp to reduce fluctuations aned reduce the compressor on and off  cycles.

Jerry