nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cracking in Apples

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cracking in Apples
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 22:44:09 -0500

My chestnut crabs were knotty to start with with brown places inside, then they cracked as they grew, and finally the giant hornets ate up the lot.  As this is the tree's first crop, I was not too pleased.  It looks just like boron deficiency in the book, despite the boron I've added the last two winters and extra added this summer when I saw what was happening.   Two other trees cropping for the first time had no such problem.  Donna
P.S.  Oranges in Florida will crack and fall early when there is boron deficiency.