nafex - [NAFEX] re a pear for iowa zone 4

  • From: marvin strand <strandmarvin@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] re a pear for iowa zone 4
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 15:14:23 -0700 (PDT)

Sam Brungardt referred St. Lawrence Nursery as a source for pears trees for
zone 4. SLN pear trees are on Pyrus Communis root stock and they say that
they are hardy to -50 below, that puts them in zone 1. Edible Forest Nursery
list some of the same pear trees on Winter Nellis which they say is a
improver Pyrus Communis root stock and are hardy in zone 3. This is very
confusing to me. Can someone explain why it appears to be a considerable
difference between sln and efn as I would also like to order pear trees for
zone 3b Marv. 3b Mt.

  • [NAFEX] re a pear for iowa zone 4, marvin strand, 09/17/2008