nafex - [NAFEX] prune plums

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] prune plums
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 05:06:45 -0400

I don't spend much time reading cook books although I do like to cook, but I've never heard of a plum being called a prune without having been dried.  Plums are sometimes reconstituted by being jarred in liquid after drying and in fact those were the most common prunes of my childhood.

It is very common to call plums that are traditionally used for drying "prune plums" and these, I believe, are always the oval, purple skinned European varieties typified by the Italian plum.  Other Euros not in this category are gages and I believe mirabelles.  Prune plums always have very high sugar and if conditions aren't too humid will actually dry out on the tree without rotting, not that I suggest this as a technique.  With a dehydraater I assume that you could turn any plum into some kind of prune.