nafex - Re: [NAFEX] why not double recipes?

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] why not double recipes?
  • Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 17:17:56 -0400

...... Original Message .......
On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 12:12:17 -0700 "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
wrote:
>You almost answer your "why's that?" with your next words: "unless there's
>health risk." Although recipes can be made safe to double with the right -
>commercial - equipment, home cooks measurements of are often inaccurate.
>Four teaspoons of lemon juice might be 3 7/8; . . .

Yes, I understand why halving a recipe might be dangerous, as the same
size error (for instance, an eight of a tablespoon) becomes a much larger
proportional difference. But doubling your recipe ought to bring you
closer to the 'true' value, assuming you are using the same equipment.

>From other responses I wonder if the more common problem is with recipes
that give a cooking time, instead of a temperature when done, or something
like that. Times will obviously vary in a non-linear way with batch size.

But as I said, my food preserving experience is limited to jelly (which can
be stored for a year after it's been opened), open-vat sour pickles,
super-sweet cooked pickles, and stuff that will be stored frozen. I'd be
afraid to can things like meat or green beans. Neither I nor my equipment
is all that precise.
___
Ginda