nafex - [NAFEX] white peaches

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] white peaches
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 17:24:00 -0400

I agree that Belle of Georgia is mediocre in terms of fruit quality.  Everything Mark said is dead on in my book, but I'd add that it is excessively fuzzy as well.  It's still an excellent home orchard peach, however, because it is strong and keeps sending up new wood all over the tree and resistant to brown rot for a late.  I don't particularly enjoy eating them but most people seem to like them.

White peaches taste bland to me, especially the new Zeiger low acid ones, White Lady included.  Lady Nancy is pretty good, but then it's a mutation of a yellow peach (Jersey Queen).  Now that I'm into my late middle age I'm gravitating to fruit with some acid to go with that sugar.  My favorite peach right now, out of the about 40 I know is a yellow called Coral Star.  It has lots of sugar but kicks it off with more acid than any peach I've tasted.  It is also huge if you thin it with the most wonderful texture possible in a peach.

Mark was also right that some peaches can be left on the tree longer than others.  Some have been bred to ripen hard recently and they keep on the tree for a ridiculous amount of time.  Blushing Star is an example of one of these- it wants to soften off the tree.  Ripe peaches hold on the tree for up to 3 weeks in my experience.