nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Skin colour bleeding into flesh, why / how?

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Skin colour bleeding into flesh, why / how?
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 23:12:48 -0500

I would hope we would have someone on the list who could explain how that
could vary from fruit to fruit...

When you look at the color on the OUTSIDE of apples, their skin, that too varies according to whether they were on the top or outside of the tree and got a lot of light, or on the inside or lower part of the tree and didn't get direct sunlight. I don't know if that really explains it or not, but it might.

Clifford wrote, "I have eaten a Discovery which normally bleeds a little but this one was
atypical in that it was coloured close to the core."

I think that if you can remember where you picked that particular apple, you should mark that part of the tree so you can find it, and check very carefully next year to see if you can find another apple like it. Maybe you can even find one like it this year. When you do, tie a marker on the branch and make a graft from it to a seedling. You might have a bud mutation that would be marketable. They are making all this noise these days about colors in fruits and veggies being good for us, and anyway, apples that are red inside would be fun.
It's always worthwhile for us explorers to remember that careful observation is how new varieties get discovered. I'd guess that each and every one of us in Nafex will meet up with some unique and worthwhile plant or mutation in our lifetime, and it's whether we recognize it or not, and save it or not, and spread it around, that determines whether it becomes worthwhile to others. I personally discovered a seedling anisette apple and got part of the root, but lost it, (the original was about to be bulldozed) and found a marvelous variegated black gum and moved it instead of reading up and finding out that they don't transplant well so it died. I hope to do better in future. Donna

  • Re: [NAFEX] Skin colour bleeding into flesh, why / how?, Donna &/or Kieran, 09/04/2008