nafex - Re: [NAFEX] cider apples and perry pears

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: <rattler_mt@yahoo.com>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] cider apples and perry pears
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:16:01 -0500

Sheridan,
I think the trick for you would be to choose ANY apples or pears you can grow in NE Montana, and just do a bit of blending to make the cider or perry taste right. For example, you can buy tannin and acid to add if necessary, or you can grow aronia berries to add astringency and red coloring aka phytonutrients. You are more limited on pear selections than on apples, and according to my book they are more likely to need acid and tannins added. Anyway, by growing eating apples, you have them for eating, and just do some alterations to the cider before or after fermenting. There are acid tests you can do, I don't know about the tannin, I go by taste. We have made some wine out of some really insipid apples, but with a little adjusting it was pretty good. Donna