nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cooking red currants

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: "Martha L. Davis" <martha_davis@earthlink.net>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cooking red currants
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:46:01 -0500

My favorite way to eat red currants (other than just plain) is to make rote
gruetze or rotgrot or red fruit juice dessert.

Thanks for the recipe, Martha. (I was really intrigued by the recipes from Jacquelyn Kuehn in the Summer Pomona, too. I drool just thinking about the Strawberry-Rhubarb Coffee Cake.)

Although I don't usually cook, and I don't really want to start,... I also hate to waste anything. If I'm growing something, I want to eat it! (One reason why summer gardening is such a good thing for me, because I never even look at the vegetables in the grocery store - but I'll eat them, and greatly enjoy them, if I grow them myself.)

And when it comes to currants, I'm apparently going to have to cook them - or at least add sugar. So far, I've just stuck them in the freezer, but I'm making a note of all these recipes and maybe I'll try some this winter.

Thanks again,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
The twin doctrines of separation of church and state and liberty of individual conscience are the marrow of our democracy, if not indeed America's most magnificent contribution to the freeing of Western man. - Clinton Rossiter