nafex - [NAFEX] replanting in sites with previous failure

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] replanting in sites with previous failure
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 18:03:26 -0400

Until you've identified the cause of failure replanting is risky but in home orchards, of course you should try, if only to continue your investigation and learning experience.  If it's a graft issue, say incompatibility of rootstock to scion... duh, try again with something hopefully root and scion compatible.

If all your best research fails to explain the failure of a second attempt than maybe it's time to try another species.  However, I have found that even varieties of the same species will perform unpredictably on any given site but this hasn't been about survival but productivity.  On my own site Redhaven failed to  produce where another variety of peach prospered and yet Redhaven succeeded a few hundred feet away when I planted another one.  Of course there is a chance that a second Redhaven attempt would also have succeeded at the site of the failed Redhaven.  Horticulture is not a field for those who can't function in an environment of uncertainty.