nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Planting replacement trees in same site as failed trees

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Planting replacement trees in same site as failed trees
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 15:15:33 -0500

Betsy,
I suppose that if the entire tree failed - rootstock and all - I might be inclined not to replant the same species there, but if it was just a problem of the graft dying out, but the rootstock was re-sprouting vigorously, I wouldn't worry - but *I* would probably just leave the established rootstock in place and re-graft it.

I've had a number of transplanted grafted nut trees lose the graft - usually due to neglect/inadequate watering during the establishment year. I just let rootstock shoots grow for a couple of years and stick a new piece of whatever pecan/hickory/walnut I'm pursuing currently on top.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY