nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Elephant Heart plum question

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Elephant Heart plum question
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 22:04:12 -0700

Elephant Heart suffers from pitch pockets. It's an inherited physiological disorder. The flesh grows at uneven rates in certain conditions, creating cracks that fill up with callus and pitch. Heart shaped varieties are especially prone to it. Redheart plum has similar flavor and quality to Elephant Heart, but because it's round it almost never gets pitch pockets.
-Lon Rombough
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/