nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Easy way to clean squirrel

  • From: hans brinkmann <hans-brinkmann@t-online.de>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Easy way to clean squirrel
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:45:13 +0200

Hallo Bill,

your good comment has been a very special pleasure for me and definitely for many others!
Thank you!

You know, at Europe and many other countries of the world it is not allowed to hunt with poison (except mice and rats),
to hunt with snares (snares are e.g. used only at Africa from poachers and criminals ...), with blowpipes... and generally it is not allowed to torture any animal WITHOUT a special reason. All laws at EU for private men or hunters (they need at Germany a one years education, a written, an oral and a shooting examination with different weapons and they have to pass all with success) are in this direction only.

ciao
Hans

William C. Garthright schrieb:
Bill,
The easy way to clean squirrel is to make a perpendicular cut half-way down the
back, just wide enough to get two fingers in. Insert the fore-fingers from each hand
and pull. It takes about 10 seconds to "undress" a squirrel. The same
method doesn't work as well with rabbits because rabbit skin doesn't always tear where
you want it to.

Well, my squirrel-hunting days are long past (about 40 years past, I guess). But as a kid, I hated to clean them (and that's pretty much the method we used). The skin was just very hard to pull off. Rabbits, on the other hand, were a piece of cake.

I like all that stuff, and I never wanted to shoot anything I wouldn't eat. But I haven't shot anything at all in decades, and I'm not much of a cook. And I'm way too tenderhearted to kill the neighborhood squirrels, as maddening as they can be (not to mention that my neighbors - and the police - would frown on it). Besides, in my neighborhood, that would just open up the territory for other squirrels. There's no shortage around here.

And you know, fruit-growing is just a hobby with me. Yes, I want to get fruit from all my hard labor. But if I can't live with the local wildlife in these circumstances, how can I expect people whose livelihoods depend on it to do so? We complain about other people killing off tigers and wolves, but we can't even live with squirrels in our backyards? Heh, heh. There's something wrong about that.

Not that I'll let them eat ALL of my fruit, of course. :-)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)