nafex - Re: [NAFEX] root pruning mistake

  • From: "Bassem Samaan" <bassem@gardener.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] root pruning mistake
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 06:21:44 -0500

Alan,
I respect your opinion, but based on my experience with leaving branches unpruned after the roots had penetrated I got trees that became very weak. I had die back, fruitlessness,  and in some cases the trees died.
What happens is the fine roots are now on the outside of the pot. When these are cut the branches demand nutrients that the thick roots inside the pot are not able to supply.

Bassem Samaan
zone 6, Pa
www.angelfire.com/pa5/bass