nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pepper and squirrels

  • From: "S & E Hills" <ehills7408@wowway.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pepper and squirrels
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 21:49:45 -0400

I had a big problem with squirrels stealing suet cages when we first moved into our new neighborhood.  So I made my own suet cakes, with bacon grease, sunflower seeds and lots of red-pepper flakes.  We put the traps out one Sunday (just after we moved into the new house) and the next morning, a cold-quiet january morning we heard screaming as we left for work (my wife and I left at the same time).  There were squirrels screaming from many of the nearby trees as well as standing on our house and  the neighbors’ houses.

It was eerie!  My wife asked what did you do, so I told her.  She forbade me from doing it again saying that she did not want to become known as the people with the screaming squirrels.  She said that’s all we need for the new neighbors’ to associate us (the new people) with the howling little critters.

We’ve laughed about that story for years now.

Scott Hills

Zone 6b Michigan